Saturday, October 11, 2008

South Coast Botanic Garden

One afternoon I dragged my mom and kids to South Coast Botanic Garden. My fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Bork, took our class here ages ago, and I have wanted to revisit ever since. The kids had not napped well on this day, so our visit was brief, but I loved what I did get to see.
Here's my mom and son by some giant staghorn ferns!!

Fuschia's:

The real treat of the trip? Turns out it was peak Dahlia season. Oh my goodness, folks, this place was so beautiful.



Just rows and rows of dahlias, all spectacular. I was amazed. I have a few, but nothing like this! I can, say, though, after this visit, I might have to add more to garden. :)









This one was my favorite.

Here's my mom at the entrance to the dahlia garden:

And me:

My mom loved the color of this one:




My mom and my oldest son admiring the Dahlia's.




Around the corner from the dahlia garden we found some edibles. The boys sat by this pumpkin for a pose.

I bought one of the these red succulents in Cambria. It's already inside for winter here in Wisconsin, in a sunny window. I hope it fares well, and prospers. I love it.

So sculptural:

Those are my sons walking in the cactus garden.



I thought it couldn't get any better than the dahlia garden? Nope. Roses. A whole sea of them...




Some beauties I looked at up close for a second. My kids were so tired by this point, and the sun was scorching. We really rushed. But I took a few moments to sniff and snap.






There's a massive Cecille Brunner cloaking the arbor you see here:



Hope you enjoyed my brief tour of the gardens. Bring cash if you go there, no checks, debit, or credit accepted. :)
Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, don't know what I like better, the dahlias or the roses. Both gorgeous! I can't figure out why I never grow dahlias. I need to change that.