Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Appreciating the Pretties.

When life gets busy, I often run out of time to really get down and look at the flowers. I have to remind myself one of the most relaxing things I can do is grab my camera and go crawl around the grass and photograph things. The best time for this is just after sunrise, just before sunset, or on a cloudy windless day. The flowers will hold till for you, and the sun won't overwhelm their colors.
I found Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve' at the local Menard's, and on whiff was all it took for me to bring it home. The color is pretty awesome, too. I've read some reports that is only hardy to zone 7 (I'm in zone 4/5), but I have read other desciptions that is hardy to zone 4, but short lived. It was worth $4.50 to me, just to try.
Rhodedondron 'rosy lights' is beginning it's first bloom cycle in my garden. I found this mature shrub in a local big box store garden center. I looked down to see one of the 8 or so plants improperly labelled at $11.99; the proper price was $39.99. It rang up at 30% off the $11.99 price, making it less than $10 with tax. Talk about a good deal!
Geranium 'Johnson's Blue' is a favorite of mine.
My newest lilac is blooming for the first time. I joined the arbor day society 3 or 4 years ago and received my 10 free flowering trees or shrubs... this was one of them. It's take a long time to grow, but it's a pretty pale purple.
The promise of columbines, soon.

Chives like bubbles about to pop.

Lilacs purfuming the air.

This plant was one of dozens I picked up in a fill-a-flat sale at my local nursery. I'm pretty sure it's Basket-of-Gold, a.k.a. perennial alyssum? I'm so pleased with it's early blooms, and find it contrasts nicely with the lilacs just behind it.

Hope you enjoyed some of my early blooms. Wishing you all have tons of blooms in your gardens as well!
Happy Gardening!

2 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

You have a lot of beautiful things blooming(-: Hows your weather there? It has been nice here this week. Suppose to hover around the 90's for the weekend too(-: Have a great week!!!!

Jamie Rex said...

It's been wild weather here. We has frost this week, and 86 yesterday. Crazy! Many of my plants laid down in the hot sun the last two days. I had to water twice, and hoping for more rain soon. I don't like watering!
I bet your plants are used to 90's?