Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lilac Time

The early lilacs are at their peak fragrance right now. I can't walk around the yard without smelling them, and I'm pretty stuffed up, too. Most of the lilacs I have were planted before we moved in, and I don't know the different varieties. I have plans to eventually add a Wedgewood blue variety to the property, and also a dark purple early-blooming fragrant variety. This year, I also tried to "divide" some of my existing lilacs by digging up off-shoots with roots, and planting them elsewhere. So far, so good. I did not grow up with lilacs b/c they cannot survive in a zone 10 southern California climate, but I'm so glad my kids get to have them around. Lilacs come with such a history. On many of the streets in my town you can see lilac shrubs the size of small cottages or trees. Their fragrance is unmatched, and beauty, marvelous. Truly, I have a love-affair with this plant.

No comments: