Monday, March 1, 2010

Oh, spring, I know you're there under the snow!

I checked for you, just to make sure. Indeed, spring is under the snow... yipee!

See, this snowman was made just this week in the "garden," and as you can tell, there is still tons of snow in our yard. In fact, I don't think we have ever had such heavy snow cover this late into the year. We have not had one single thaw or melt all season, it's been white since November out there!


I trudged around the garden today and moved the slush and snow around a bit to see the state of the gardens beneath, and was pleased to see so many things progressing. Several of my "iffy" roses are looking strong and green and the base, and some even have leaf buds against the canes. There are pansies, penstemon, and heuchera alive, primrose with green new growth, fuzzy leaf buds on the clematis, and sedum (like 'angelina') that seem to have kept on growing right through winter.

With highs finally in the upper 30's and lower 40's this week, I thought moving around some of the snow around the gate openings, and the earliest blooming plants might help. I feel totally revitalized to see things alive out there. Funny, how the garden can instantly change my whole perspective. Now, the anticipation will begin killing me. lol.

I can't wait to see poppies, tulips, daffodils, and muscari. I'm dying for a whiff of hyacinth and lilac! I am so ready to prune some roses, and plant some annuals. Did the newer perennials I planted last year make it? How big will the older ones be, and which ones will be ready for division? I can't wait to see the blooms on the newer roses I planted last year, and finally decide on which new ones I'll add this year! I'm itching to break new ground and start my new, sunny front yard garden!

What are you most excited for this season?

Happy Gardening!

No comments: