Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Springety Spring, Spring!

Well, there is no escaping it now! Spring is here, and the plants are growing. This has truly been an odd year, as the snow melted and the temps climbed up almost immediately. I have been rushing to pull the winter protection (a 6-10 inches blanket of leaves and twigs) off my beds so the bulbs could grow. The longer I leave the protective layer on, the harder it becomes to remove later without damaging what is growing beneath. Look how these tulips just pushed themselves right through the barrier.

Once the barrier is removed the parts of the tulip that were not getting an sun are yellowish; two days have passed now and they are all solid red. Here is the mis-colored bulb:
Beneath the surface I've found blooms on primrose.

This spotted deadnettle also had little purple flowers on it.
I was stunned to find this Wallflower (Bowles Mauve) had not only survived winter, but was pushing out blooms already. All my research told me this guy was shortlived, and not hardy. Surprise!

The sedum 'Angelina' is glowing already!
The soil has been quiet soft and workable, so in the new sunny front yard we've errected my newest arbor, and I planted sweet peas on the base for now. I will be putting flower beds on boths sides for dahlias, roses, and clematis, among others things.
I hope to have some blooms, soon. I can also hardly wait to start dividing and moving a few things. Happy Gardening!

No comments: