Thursday, May 20, 2010

Spring in Full Swing

The plants are definately following directions around here:

We have had several warm and sunny days in a row, and everything in the garden has responded swimmingly. I could spend all day watching things grow! I walk around checking on the unfurling petals of clematis, popping popppies, and the slowly awakening rose buds. I should have my first rose of the season opening in the next day or two, which is about 2 weeks ahead of normal time. I don't need to tell you I walk around the yard 8 times a day checking on the most promising champions. Right now, the race for 1st place is between 'Mary' and 'Sunny Knockout,' with a shy old unknown pink rose I was gifted making a run for 3rd.
Because I don't have enough to do, Ha!, I have begged and pleaded with my husband to remove the old yew shrubs growing around a 1/2 of the foundation of our home. He's agreed to use portions of Memorial Day weekend to hack the things out. Each one is the size of a 6-seater circular table approximately. Overwhelmed and nervous about the task as the results. I have borrowed a couple books from the library to help me visualize what to do with the new space, including Messervy's Home Outside, Keil's Fabulous Flowerbeds, Primeau's Front Yard Gardens, and McHoy's Planning Your Garden. Not to mention the stack of 25 of my favorite gardening magazines, and my garden drawing journal. I have plans to move several crowded plants into the new spaces, as well as divisions from several existing plants, and a few wish list plants I hope to find gradually throughout the season when money becomes available (including 'Hot Papaya' Echinacea, 'Autumn Moon' Japanese Maple, and a couple roses). I also think I will keep one or two yews, only drastically pruned back. My brain hurts from all this planning!
Meanwhile, clove scented dianthus pop above Lamb's Ear foliage. 'Empress of India' nasturium are coming up in this region also. 3 different shades of blue foliage has me all excited!

The shady edge of the back border is glowing with hostas!

Yummy radishes to harvest!

I made a few twig trellises for some of the taller clematis; this one is possibly 'Viola,' with abundant nodding flowers. I know the height will make the blooms easier to view. So excited!

'Elsa Spath' is already at peak bloom.
And the always early, 'Pink Champagne' is wonderful right now!

A few weeks ago I did find 'Sexy Rexy' rose at Kmart for $10.99! I had an old Kmart merchandise return card I used to pay for it. These blooms looks awesome above the foliage of 'Citronelle' heuchera. This doesn't count as the first rose of the season, though! No new guys allowed in the race.

Happy Gardening!

2 comments:

Shady Gardener said...

You ARE having fun, Jaime! Looks really good over there... you have a great variety. I love your trellis! :-) You're a girl after my heart because I, too, like the hands-on approach!

Jamie Rex said...

Thanks! I love this time of year!